Username Password: Remember me

Ticking noise
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ticking noise

Ticking noise 11 years, 11 months ago #13235

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
Started the car up today to test the brakes and after a long week end of being on jack stands when I noticed a fairly loud ticking noise coming from I believe the #3 cylinder. Any ideas on what it could be? After warming the car up a bit and driving it around the block, it wasn't quite as loud. I also have a nice belt squeal that's developed over the last two track events. I have a feeling that I'm going to be running into a few more issues now that I'm beating on the car on a regular basis. Before I owned the car, it sat for quite a while and was only used ~2 times in a year.

Click on the pic for the vid.

J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60
Last Edit: 11 years, 11 months ago by AgRacer.

Re: Ticking noise 11 years, 11 months ago #13241

Not hearing the video it is probably a lifter leaking down. These are pretty common and if pumps back up and runs fine hot then you are in good shape.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re: Ticking noise 11 years, 10 months ago #13267

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
Ticking noise went away after another start up so I'm guessing the lifter got re pressurized again. As for the belt noise, still tracking that down.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: Ticking noise 11 years, 10 months ago #13347

• GT944
  • Senior Racer
I heard the noise on your video - sounds to me like a noisy valve lifter. When they start losing pressure, it takes awhile for them to 'pump-up' with oil after startup, but even when they quiet down from that, you still hear the noise because the seals are not really holding oil pressure, and it's slapping the valve. Doesn't cause immediate damage, but the fix here is to replace the lifter(s). A blown lifter could potentially cause a valve issue down the road though, so I would put it high on the list.
- Greg - #518

'88 944 Spec Racer - Race Ready! (finally)
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds