Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Running in Texas with track side support?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Running in Texas with track side support?

Running in Texas with track side support? 8 years, 5 months ago #20173

I've posted a few times a few years ago as a rookie. But now I have SM and vintage open wheel experience. How are the 944 car count numbers in Texas these days? Looking to get back in a modern car and would love to run a 944.

Are there good fields?

Re: Running in Texas with track side support? 8 years, 4 months ago #20222

• Timwold
Typically the and near Texas folks run in PCA events. the events draw anywhere from 7 SP1 (944Spec) to 13 cars. It depends on the track and other factors. The October Hallett race has better attendance than the Cresson event but.... next year the Cresson event will be a 944 Cup event so there should be a good number of SP1, SP2, and SP3 cars.

in short, there is a solid group of 944 racers which run the Texas and Oklahoma PCA races and there are a few cars set to join.

dfisher42- where are you located?
Todd Imwold
1983 Spec Car #143

Re: Running in Texas with track side support? 8 years, 4 months ago #20229

Im in San Antonio, so Im pretty far from most tracks, except COTA. One reason I was wondering if there was a Texas shop that can do the pseudo arrive and drive thing for an P car. I know Jones Autowerks is here but I think they've gotten away from the trackside support because they are so back logged.

I have a tow vehicle and a trailer but being from SA its a good haul from any track. MSR Houston and TWS being the most feasible. Hallet is one of my favorite tracks but I can't take the time off to get a car there and back without adding the undo pressure it takes hauling 9 hours there and back. I'd rather worry about racing.

I currently run a vintage formula vee with CVAR and have a fantastic outfit that hauls my car to all the events. But am looking for another race car. Its down to an affordable P car, another Spec Miata or a vintage FF. So any leads on good, solid cars would be appreciated too. Ive had 3 street 944s and with a SM and Vee background think an 944 race car would be a perfect next step. Thanks for any info.

Drew

Re: Running in Texas with track side support? 8 years, 4 months ago #20241

• Timwold
Drew-

Hope you had a good Thanksgiving.

I do not know of any shop which provides transport specifically for 944s but Topps Racing does provide track side for the Cup cars and some E class racers.

There are two guys, Steve Coomes and Chris Blazer, who rent SP1 944s and it is an arrive and drive type of service. My buddy from Utah rented Chris' 121 car for Hallett and had a great time. Chris is out of Kansas City but races all of the Texas area PCA races and Steve is out of Denton.

If you want to talk to either Chris or Steve and I can get you there contact info outside this thread.

Todd
Todd Imwold
1983 Spec Car #143

Re: Running in Texas with track side support? 8 years, 4 months ago #20244

• dpRacing Dan
  • 944 Spec National Director
I would also like to be put in contact with anyone running 944s in the Texas region (whether in NASA or other clubs). Please feel free to send me contact info. It would be appreciated!

Re: Running in Texas with track side support? 8 years, 4 months ago #20247

• Timwold
How would you them to send the contact info? Not sure if they will want to post it on a forum.
Todd Imwold
1983 Spec Car #143
  • Page:
Moderators: Timwold
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds