Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Relocating to Houston area
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Relocating to Houston area

Relocating to Houston area 10 years, 1 month ago #17488

944 spec-ers

I just wanted to make a quick introduction!

I am relocating to the Houston area in a few weeks and I've been a 944 fan for years, previously had a nicely modded '87 turbo (you know - the one you should have NEVER let go of....). I've been flirting with the idea of getting into spec racing, and would prefer going the 944 route over spec E30. Preferably purchase a car already built, or at least partially built...

Things I take into consideration.

Participation: How many cars run on a regular basis in NASA 944-spec?

Tracks: Regularly run COTA and MSR?

I'd like to be part of an active community, friendly, competitive and some regular participation.

How do you feel the Texas region stacks up?

Thank you everybody, and I look forward to spending some time at the tracks shortly!

Re: Relocating to Houston area 10 years, 1 month ago #17489

• Timwold
Welcome-

The 944 spec crowd runs with NASA and PCA. The PCA schedule is
March - TWS
May- COTA
May- NOLA
Oct/nov- Hallett
Oct/nov- Eagles Canyon and MSR cresson alternate each year

We are expecting 10+ racers each event. With most of the racers are from texas. There are a few which travel from Kansas. It is a good crowd and we generally pit together and help keep people on the track during the weekend. i tend to supply parts but no labor. Others help with the labor.

The NASA schedule is posted on the website. I have not run a NASA event in awhile but David B runs a good event. The comments mentioned above can be said about the NASA crowd.

There should be significant overlap this year between those running PCA and NASA.

Any questions please feel free to call me 214-250-1750. There are a few cars for sale in the area and it would be nice to keep them in Texas. There are 1 or 2 944 spec guys i know of in the Houston area.

as for E30 racing- I have not really seen that many so I can't help you there.

Todd Imwold
Todd Imwold
1983 Spec Car #143

Re: Relocating to Houston area 10 years, 1 month ago #17490

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
I just left the Texas region and can vouch for what Todd said. I only got to do one PCA event (which was the important one at COTA), and can say that the 944 crowd is very friendly and welcoming. Texas has been trying to get going for a while with a few split between NASA and PCA, but I think with Todd doing some coordinating with everyone, that split will disappear and most cars will show up at the same events.

On one hand its nice that NASA and PCA share rules, but in some cases when the events conflict, it can split car counts. NASA has contingency programs but PCA tends to be a bit more professionally run, IMO.

SE30 is non-existent in Texas which leaves Spec Miata and 944 Spec for the smaller momentum class spec classes. I went with 944 because I didnt feel like competing with the $12K pro motors and $70K pro car builds of Miata.

I would do 944 Spec all over again if I had the chance to start over. Another buddy of mine from college decided to go the CMC route about the same time I started. I cant count how many DNFs he's had and general work hes had to do in between races to keep going. In the 2 years of owning my car, Ive only had 1 DNF due to the cam bolt backing out. Most all of my other maintenance has been preventive in nature (oil, brakes) or typical little things that happen on all cars (radiator).

Lastly, BUY A CAR THATS ALREADY BUILT AND HAS A LOG BOOK!!! The car has already been sorted and you could be racing the week after you buy it.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: Relocating to Houston area 10 years, 1 month ago #17491

Thanks for the responses guys - I really look forward to spending some time out at the track, and hopefully joining in on the fun sooner than later. So many reasons to go spec 944 over other classes.

My goal is to be on track as soon as I can - that means looking for a car that is race ready...I will start the search after my move.

Sounds like a vibrant community with some solid participation, I'm surprised spec E30 is non-existent in that area. I am from Northern California originally, and that series is one of the largest there.

I will dive into the rules shortly, and I am sure there is plenty of information online; but it sounds like a car built for 944-spec is also legal for racing in the PCA (class name?)

Todd - I appreciate extending your contact information

Looking forward to meeting everybody I can, looks like I will be making a trip out to a PCA or NASA event very soon!

Re: Relocating to Houston area 10 years, 1 month ago #17492

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
A lot of NASA's classes are regionally aligned. SM is HUGE in Texas (50 car fields), SE30 is big in Southeast and Cali, 944 Spec is biggest in Rocky Mountain and Cali. Thunder Roadster is also big in the Southeast. It all just depends on the region your in.

As for the PCA class name, its SP1. There is SP2 and SP3 which are more modified and generally get tracked under the 944 Cup sanctioning body but SP1 is a direct copy of the NASA 944 Spec rule set.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: Relocating to Houston area 10 years, 1 month ago #17493

Thanks for the background information, I wonder what makes a class more popular in certain areas versus others...I'm just glad to hear that spec 944 and SP1 seem to be quite alive in Texas; can't wait.

Alright that sounds great - thanks for the quick and easy on the PCA SP1 class.
  • Page:
Moderators: Timwold
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds