Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Newb Engine Question
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Newb Engine Question

Newb Engine Question 11 years, 4 months ago #14930

Let me start with a quick introduction. My name is Ryan Steffee. I live in the Dallas area. I was in the Navy for 6 years. I recently graduated college and I am an engineer for electrical safety company.

I have recently purchased a car that I plan on building for Spec 944. I just graduated college, so my build might take a while since I don't have a lot of extra money. I have been interested in this class for a while now because it seems like the a fun class with honest competitors (I've heard bad things about Wrec Miata). I have done some research in to the rules and looked at a lot of builds in this forum.

I've been trying to find information about the differences between engines. I really haven't found much. It seems that the water pump is different from early to late. I also found that they put higher compression pistons in the later car (1988?). Is there any other major differences?

I'm asking this because I have a 1986 944, and I found someone on Craigslist selling what he thinks is a 1985 engine. I am supposed to see the engine this weekend (he doesn't have a picture in his ad). I want to purchase it if the price is right, but I need to make sure it will go in my car.

Help is greatly appreciated, and sorry for the newb question.

Re: Newb Engine Question 11 years, 4 months ago #14931

• Timwold
It will fit the question is whether you have early or late DME and ingition. you can just swap your current set up on the the block. I was going to look at that engine as well but will pass so we don't end up bidding up the price on each other.

Todd Imwold
Todd Imwold
1983 Spec Car #143

Re: Newb Engine Question 11 years, 4 months ago #14934

I'm curious how many other people are are going to look at this engine...

I don't really need it right now, so he's probably not going to like my offer. I'm just trying to see if I can get a deal. If we are talking about the same person, he will probably be contacting you after he talks to me.

Re: Newb Engine Question 11 years, 3 months ago #14942

• Timwold
Did you get the engine?
Todd Imwold
1983 Spec Car #143

Re: Newb Engine Question 11 years, 3 months ago #14943

Apparently he never made it to Dallas. I guess the engine is in a storage unit down here that he wants to get out of. I'm not sure, but he might be in the military.

He finally texted me Sunday night that he couldn't make it. He said he is going to try again next weekend.

Re: Newb Engine Question 11 years, 3 months ago #14952

• Timwold
let me know if you pass. I am looking for a motor to have rebuilt so we have a spare in the texas region. I would sell it at cost to anyone who needs it. There are a couple of guys building rental cars so there could be 10+ cars in north texas soon. most will run PCA but should be able to run a NASA event if there is not a conflict.
Todd Imwold
1983 Spec Car #143
  • Page:
Moderators: Timwold
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds