Username Password: Remember me

late idea
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: late idea

late idea 9 years, 4 months ago #18836

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
I know it's a little late to propose any new changes now but I thought I'd at least plant the seed, maybe for next years discussion? I also want to get others opinions on this as it goes against everything I always campaign for, not spending money.

I've been looking for a new header as my factory one was cracked. We welded it up but it had already been fixed once before and failed and will undoubtedly again soon. I've been checking the junkyards and all the ones I've found so far are cracked or missing. A guy said he had one I could have for free and said it was not cracked but when I got it today, sure enough it's no better than the one I have. Last time I checked with a Porsche wrecker they wanted a good amount for one. Now I don't know what everyone elses experience is with the tubular header but if it's similar to what I'm seeing maybe it's time to start thinking about a change.

Automotion currently sells the Bursch for $310 which although is not cheap, it's alot lower than it used to be and with the scarcity of the factory ones maybe it's time for a change. I don't have experience with the header, and maybe it adds horsepower. Maybe I can order one and do dyno runs to see how much and if more maybe some sort of weight penalty can be added while it's fazed in.

Any thoughts?
Last Edit: 9 years, 4 months ago by rd7839.

Re: late idea 9 years, 4 months ago #18917

• tcomeau
Ron,
There are 3 generations of factory exhaust manifolds. The only problem is with the middle one.
1983 - 1985.1 used cast iron Manifolds. Bullet proof but heavy at 20lbs per set.
1985.2-1987 ~ or so. used stainless steel tubular manifolds with the gusset on the #1/#4 cylinder half. THESE are the ones that crack. You can repair but they'll crack again. They're light at 7 lbs.
~1988 used stainless tubular as well but they were "jacketed" all around the joints. Again, 7lbs.
These are not rare in my neck of the woods. I sell Cast iron sets for $75 and 88 style sets for $125.
We've already been thru the chips and headers deal. People were buying Stahl headers at $650, plus shipping, plus install, then going to the dyno for hours to flash their chip to get more power than other drivers.
Let me know if you want manifolds. I currently have a good 88 set in the shop.
...at your service,
Tim Comeau
SoCal 944 Spec #22 since Feb 2003.
Let's keep building it!
Last Edit: 9 years, 4 months ago by tcomeau.

Re: late idea 9 years, 4 months ago #18918

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
I might buy a set or two from you at the price to have for my region Tim.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: late idea 9 years, 3 months ago #18930

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
We should stay away from headers as long as possible. There is power to be made there as well as shifting the TQ and power curve.
It is an endless money pit and moves away from Spec.
Besides "No new rules is better".
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re: late idea 9 years, 3 months ago #18932

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
OK, ready...here is a moment nobody saw coming.....The seas have parted, the day to end all days has arrived..........I agree on this one. No headers!

I know it is a shocker but I dont think opening this one up is a good idea. I have personally spent over $1000 on a custom set of headers. If the day comes where we cant find any more OEM manifolds then and only then I would like to see a SPEC manufacturer supply a low cost replacement. I dont think we are there yet.
Old Racer!

Re: late idea 8 years, 8 months ago #19498

• Manuel_M
  • Junior Racer
Hey Tim, do you still have any headers for sale?

Ran across some locally.
Last Edit: 8 years, 8 months ago by Manuel_M.
  • Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds