Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Ram Air Rule Clarification Issue
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Ram Air Rule Clarification Issue

Ram Air Rule Clarification Issue 10 years, 5 months ago #16915

Guys,

Since the rule change discussions, I've had several emails questioning the routing of ram air, and what is OK, and what is not. Specifically, if, and where holes can be cut for routing the ram air. This came up about 9 months ago, here: www.944spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-b...old-air-intake-on-87.

It has been pointed out to me that the provisional allowance made then seems in conflict with one reading of this rule:

17.3 Body Structure
The chassis structure must remain intact and stock except as noted
17.3.1 Headlights and headlight motors may be removed. If the headlights are removed, the
stock covers must be installed in the front body work in the stock location in a secure fashion.
Headlight cover gaps may not be filled in or taped over. Headlight positions may not be used for ducting of air in any way.

"Headlight positions" can be read in multiple ways, but in the end it's just not clear as is, and needs to be fixed.

The ram air rules proposals did not address the routing of ram air or cutting holes, just where it came from, or getting rid of it entirely (which were voted down).

As we did not clarify this in the rules debate, and it is a source of confusion and contention, it need to be dealt with, even at this late date.

So moving forward, we need to decide if cutting holes in the headlight buckets (or elsewhere) to allow for straighter/cleaner ducting of ram air should be allowed. We should also address cutting holes for ducting oil coolers, etc for clarity.

Ram air has become such a headache, that it may need to be done away with if we can't sort this out.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 10 years, 5 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re: Ram Air Rule Clarification Issue 10 years, 5 months ago #16916

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
Ive cut that pannel out on my car way before I insalled ram air. Rules state that you may remove any unused bracket. To me, it is an unused bracket.
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build

Re: Ram Air Rule Clarification Issue 10 years, 5 months ago #16917

I had the stock air configuration, which after removing fenders became a Dyson sucking up all kinds of crap off the track. That lead me to the choice of (3) options. 1) Install a K&N cone. Personally I though it looked crap and pulled hot air under the hood. 2) Fog lamp - It works but after routing the hose (2-3 feet), you can tell that is was not optimum and now it is pulling hot air / Rain right off the track surface. 3) Bumper Turn signal - It took about 30 minutes and $20 worth of parts. I fabricated a scoop at the turn signal to create a connection to the 3" hose. I agree with Racer X. I just cut a 3": inch in the bracket under the headlight area. Advanced Auto makes a Air intake kit ($13) that connects to the scoop and slides right over the stock intake at the box. No where during this process did I worry about "ram air", it was about getting good clean air to the motor.

I can post pictures of my setup tonight.
#4 86 944
Fast Tater Motorsports

Re: Ram Air Rule Clarification Issue 10 years, 5 months ago #16918

• KLR
I agree with Ken (RacerX) on this issue. I would say that half the cars that I've seen are missing this sheetmetal, often long before they become race cars. It doesn't appear structural to me -- I think it exists to protect the (now absent) headlights when they are retracted. I don't really see the point of eliminating ram air -- it costs <$30 to do a very professional job of installing it and it makes it easier to pass out of class cars on long straights.
Neal Agran
Midwest Region 944 Spec Series Director

National championships: 2nd 2013, 3rd 2011

25 Hours of Thunderhill: 2nd E3 class 2011

Midwest Region Champion 2013 and 2014

Re: Ram Air Rule Clarification Issue 10 years, 5 months ago #16919

• BritRacer
  • Seasoned Racer
Hasn't a precedent been set here in that cars have raced at nationals with areas of the head lamp bucket removed to allow oil coolers on the passenger side and ram air on the drivers side. I remember Greg Palmer saying this has been done to Tyler's car I don't see how we can not allow this now if the national champion car for the past 3 years has been allowed to do this and passed tech.

I know that I was amongst many that took this as the clarification and cut a small section to allow better air flow to my oil cooler.
Jason Jane
Norcal

Re: Ram Air Rule Clarification Issue 10 years, 5 months ago #16920

So there are a few emerging issues that need to be clarified in the rules

1) The triangular piece at the bottom of the headlight area that Racer-x refers to. I do see this missing in many cars. I'm not even sure all cars came with it.

2) Cutting holes for coolers, etc. I also agree that there has been a lot of this done, but we need to clarify that this is OK, and set boundaries. Any suggestions?

3) Cutting holes for ram air ducting. The specific are of concern for that was email to me is here:

I need to know if anyone has a problem with doing this.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 10 years, 5 months ago by Sterling Doc.
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds