The Ultimate Newbie Question
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
NASA Mid-West and Great Lakes Website

www.nasagreatlakes.com/
www.nasamidwest.com/
  • Page:

TOPIC: The Ultimate Newbie Question

The Ultimate Newbie Question 14 years, 5 months ago #6171

There are some many things I want to ask so if anyone is really bored and wants to talk I would appreciate the contact. That being said, I finally got permission from the ol' battle-axe and am now pursuit to find a car... I have never raced before with the exception of highway wheelies on my CBR 900 (officailly retired--- see battle-axe). So am REALLY starting from scratch. Is there still a good presence in the 944 spec class here in ohio? My friend races miatas but I told him that I thought you had to be a female to own one of those things. Is there a certain year 944 to buy? Is one year better over another? Basically I need to know everything.. Thanks for the help.

Craig
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
440-725-4974

Re:The Ultimate Newbie Question 14 years, 5 months ago #6183

• jaje
  • Seasoned Racer
Your NASA region is the Great Lakes region, however most 944s are based around the Chicago area with some of us coming from WI, MI, IN, MO, KS, NE. We do race at Mid Ohio this year and will have 2 events at Putnam. I live in KS so outside of the Gateway race in St. Louis I'm looking at a 8-10 hour drive for every race.

If you do decide to jump in...buy an already built car by a respected owner. There are several Spec 944s for sale that would be good turn key options. I was a rookie in the Midwest this year and started with an '83 944 that was built from a $800 car into a racecar. I can't tell you how many things I had to fix/replace each time I opened the hood.
Joel
83 944 Spec (#74) - conflictedracer.wordpress.com/
Last Edit: 14 years, 5 months ago by jaje.

Re:The Ultimate Newbie Question 14 years, 5 months ago #6193

Craig, as Joel (Jaje) mentioned most of us run in the Midwest region, with shares about 1/2 its events with the Great Lakes region you are in. We are expanding eastward toward you. I have raced early & late cars, none stand out competition wise. The early cars are a bit easier to get lighter, the late cars have a bit better suspension geometry. Early offset cars (83 through 86), are a bit cheaper to build & run, but not much. '88 motors have a bit more compression, but you can shave the head on an early car to make up the difference! Find a good deal on a running car with a ratty interior to build, or as Joel mentioned, buy one & come join the fun!
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
  • Page:
Moderators: KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds