Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

AiM Solo GPS Laptimer
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: AiM Solo GPS Laptimer

AiM Solo GPS Laptimer 7 years, 8 months ago #21065

I am thinking of getting an AiM Solo GPS Laptimer. I searched the treads and didn't find much other than 1 for sale a few years back. So what are your thoughts on the Solo laptimer or AiM SoloDL On-Board (which one OBD or CAN). for a 944? or is there a better solution. My first priority is lap times.

Thanks for the replys

Re: AiM Solo GPS Laptimer 7 years, 8 months ago #21066

It's a lot cheaper to use your phone with a lap timing application (Racechrono, SpeedFreq, Harry's Laptimer, Track Master) and an external, Bluetooth 10MHz GPS unit.

If you aren't comfortable with technology, the AIM is probably easier to use, but these other options will give you the same data for around $100.
#124, 1987 924S Spec racer
1988 Turbo S

Re: AiM Solo GPS Laptimer 7 years, 8 months ago #21076

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
Most of us in the Southeast use Traqmate products. Unfortunately they stopped making new units and are only doing repairs however, there are many used units around available for a decent price.

Many consider the Traqmate data analysis to be the easiest to set up and compare between drivers, which is why it is popular at the lowest levels of club racing. Aim systems are much more expansive and complex, and also harder to setup to analyze data between drivers. The software just seems to be less user friendly than the Traqmate software.

The Aim Solo is the easiest to setup and mount, since it has magnets on the back and you only have to press one button to turn it on and record. I think the display isn't quite as intuitive as the Traqmate though.

The biggest benefit from data analysis comes from comparing data between drivers. Analyzing your own data can only take you so far so the predominant recommendation is to go with the data system that is popular with others in your paddock so you can benefit from comparing data.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: AiM Solo GPS Laptimer 7 years, 8 months ago #21081

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
I have the Solo and I like it. Jason is right, it's not super intuitive but easily figured out. I use it mainly for overall lap times and occasionally for predictive laptime. It can easily be switched back and forth. The black and white display is not super bright but I can see it clearly enough. Mine is mounted under the dash so I don't stare at it all the time, just know when to take a peak.

It knows when you stop and gives you a rundown of laptimes but one thing I don't like is if you start moving before it finds the satellites and sets the track you will get a partial laptime that will display as your fastest. A minor annoyance however. I've also had where it wasn't synched up before I rolled out it wouldn't count times for some reason. Those that know me know I'm always super early to grid however and have plenty of time to let it do it's thing.

Re: AiM Solo GPS Laptimer 7 years, 8 months ago #21082

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
If you watch this video you'll see the Solo just beneath the red fire handle when I come into the sunlight. You'll see that you can read the numbers pretty well, and for me I can see them even in the shade. It also is within a couple hundredths of what the official timing says every time.

p.s. the camera shut off with half lap to go, we finished I think 2/10ths apart
  • Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds