Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Gauging interest: 944 Spec car project FS in SoCal
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Gauging interest: 944 Spec car project FS in SoCal

Gauging interest: 944 Spec car project FS in SoCal 10 years, 11 months ago #15933

• cda951
  • Drivers Ed
I may have come to the point where I lack the money and desire to finish my stillborn 944 Spec car project, and I am gauging interest to see if anyone wants to pick up the reins and finish it.

The body is a Summer Yellow '87 944S that had been sitting at my shop for several years after the original 16V engine spun a rod bearing. I got an 8V engine from a wrecked '85.5 car and rebuilt the head and replaced the rod bearings and installed it, along with new belts/rollers/water pump, changed some wiring and now it runs and has good compression and leakdown #s. Has a new clutch and resurfaced flywheel, and a new clutch slave cylinder and hose. I also have a used BMW V12 oil cooler that I was planning to install, and the engine has the Turbo oil filter console installed. Has A/C delete bracket, rebuilt alternator and deleted power steering.

I also have a complete spare engine from another '85.5 car. It was rebuilt by a friend/customer in his garage so I would want to remove the oil pan and cam tower/head and inspect things before I ever installed it, but all of the parts are there and many are new.

I installed the short 5th gear from the 944S into the transmission from the wrecked 8Vparts car. I test-ran this transmission in my 951 and it shifted smoothly and was quiet. I was waiting to find a LSD to install at which point I would have rebuilt it with new synchros and bearings, but that never happened. I have 2 new GKN axle shafts for the planned early offset conversion that are now hanging in the car. The shift lever is new and I enlarged and re-bushed the shift rod bore so no sloppy shifting! The car does start and move under its own power.

I removed the ABS hydraulic unit and replaced the requisite hard lines with Spec legal non ABS parts. I have a new set of stainless braided brake hoses as well.

I have gutted the interior and removed the sound deadening and most of the seam sealer, so it is virtually ready for roll cage installation (I even have a weld-in roll cage kit that I'll throw in that could be a good basis for a custom cage, I believe it is Autopower).

I have most of the necessary parts to convert the late-offset suspension to early offset (front hubs and spindles, rear hubs), as I was planning on running early steel front control arms and I have a set of early offset cookie cutter wheels. I also have good pair of Spec-legal used rear Koni yellow shocks and front strut inserts.

I have brand new hollow 31MM torsion bars and Racer's Edge delrin rear control arm bushings and torsion tube carrier bushings, along with Weltmeister spring plate bushings, none of which are installed and may be for sale separately if nobody wants the whole package.

To complete, the car needs:
---A roll cage installed and interior painted (I primered the spots where I ground away seam sealer). The door panels should be gutted as well.
---A battery cutoff wired in, as well as some bundling/cleaning up of wiring under the dash (I have done most of the work and deleted most of the unnecessary wiring).
---The upgraded suspension pieces would need to be installed.
---The brake hydraulics are good, but new pads and rotors will be needed, along with brake cooling ducts and backing plates.
---The sunroof needs to be bolted in place, and the drive/linkage removed (I left it like this to possibly make the cage installation easier).
---Could use a new dashboard, and the interior can be completed to taste. The stock gauge cluster currently sitting in the car and all of the gauges work.

I am looking for about $3,000 for the whole package. The car is located in Santa Barbara, CA. Please PM if interested. I only have a few pictures of it at the moment, but could provide more if someone is interested.

Thank you,
Chris

Re: Gauging interest: 944 Spec car project FS in SoCal 10 years, 11 months ago #15939

Interested
Please send pics to: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Thanks
Craig

Re: Gauging interest: 944 Spec car project FS in SoCal 10 years, 10 months ago #16119

• cda951
  • Drivers Ed
Bump, anyone interested? I'm open to offers, I need this thing gone!

Remember, it has a complete extra engine and almost all of the parts need to complete included.

It needs a cage but I will throw in an Autopower weld-in kit that can be a good start for a custom cage.

Re: Gauging interest: 944 Spec car project FS in SoCal 10 years, 8 months ago #16417

Is it still available? Do you have any pics?
Thanks

Re: Gauging interest: 944 Spec car project FS in SoCal 10 years, 8 months ago #16418

• cda951
  • Drivers Ed
Yes, it is still available if you want to take it on.

Email me at chris AT schneiderautohaus.com and I'll reply with some pictures. I'm having trouble posting them here.
  • Page:
Moderators: SvoChuck, joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds