Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

FS - '88 944-spec project
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: FS - '88 944-spec project

FS - '88 944-spec project 12 years, 1 month ago #12915

• Dillon
  • Drivers Ed
Hate to do this, but I just don't have much time or money to invest into racing anymore, so my 944 project is going up for sale. It's fully built to the rules of 944-spec; only thing it lacks is an LSD. The Rocky Mountain guys know I raced the entire 2010 season with NASA in this car. The reason I say "project" is that the engine is seized. If you can figure out why and fix it, it would be an incredibly competitive car, and should run at the front.

I will continue to look into what's wrong as I do have time. It never ran so I think the damage should be minimal. But I wanted to go ahead and start posting feelers in case anyone is looking for a good builder car. I'd like to see $3800 for it but make me an offer.

Here are the details about the engine. At the end of the 2010 season, the car was low on power and burning more oil than normal. I started an engine rebuild with the help of a few other 944-spec guys: rings and rod bearings in the bottom end, and a full head rebuild. A couple months ago I finally got the engine back in and everything hooked up...and it wouldn't start. While attempting to troubleshoot the no-start issue, the engine locked up. Literally it was cranking just fine one second, and then "click"---frozen. It had oil and wasn't making any grinding noises when I cranked it. I have the cam tower off right now and everything looks good with it. Head looks great too. I can't turn the crank by hand in either direction, so something in the bottom end is badly seized up.

More details:

1988 Porsche 944 - this means '88 DME, '88 pistons, short 5th gear, and larger gas tank
Pretty much everything stripped - it's down to minimum weight
Roll cage with NASCAR style door bars, built by Hanksville Hot Rods
All safety equipment current and legal for the 2012 season. Belts will need to be replaced after this year.
Head freshly rebuilt to the limit of the rules by The Engine Shop in Longmont
Suspension fully prepped - Koni Yellow dampers, 30 mm torsion bars and 350 lb. springs, 951 front sway bar, Weltmeister rear sway bar, 968 caster blocks, adjustable camber plates, etc.

Current-state pictures to come. Attached are a few pictures from the 2010 season...looks pretty much the same now.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 12 years, 1 month ago by Dillon.

Re: FS - '88 944-spec project 12 years, 1 month ago #12936

• no2marx
  • Drivers Ed
Is car still available? And where is it located? Thanks,Gary@PDX

Re: FS - '88 944-spec project 12 years, 1 month ago #12940

I think you are in Denver, right? Might be interested in tackling this project. Can you send some pics of the interior and engine bay?

carsandcapp*at*gmail.com
704-305-7000
Trent

Re: FS - '88 944-spec project 12 years, 1 month ago #12957

still sniffing...I really want to get into 944 Spec racing ...give me a call if you are still considering selling this car.

704-305-7000

Re: FS - '88 944-spec project 12 years, 1 month ago #12959

yes car is in denver area

www.nasarockymountain.com/nasa_forums/showthread.php?t=5129

might be checked more often

Re: FS - '88 944-spec project 12 years, 1 month ago #12963

I hear you..but apparently you can't post on that forum even after you register there. Someone has to first grant you the right to post. It's been ~60 minutes since I activated my reg. and still no posting rights. Never seen that before. Kind of weird.
Moderators: SvoChuck, joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds