(1 viewing) (1) Guest
NASA California South Region Website

nasasocal.com/
  • Page:

TOPIC: Circuit of the Americas and 944

Circuit of the Americas and 944 7 years, 12 months ago #20717

• Atteberry
  • Seasoned Racer
April 29 to May 1st participated in a Speed Ventures event at COTA. There were a large number of Porsche 911's, Cayman S, a few Boxster and Boxster S, not to mention a large number of Ferraris, Vetts, assorted other high horse power cars one vintage F1 car and 1 944. I was the lowest horsepower car by about 30% and for a dozen entries they were shamed by the 944.

The track facilities are just first class as is the track itself. It is not a high horsepower track. The track was designed to challenge an F1 engineer and driver, with two long straights and a serious of corners that require extreme skill. The biggest negative is that two very slow corners precede the long straights. The elevation changes are greater than you think. You got to love high seed esses followed by progressively slower turns then ending in several high speed turns.

This link is to my best session of the weekend.youtu.be/4CPQiUFW8XM

The following outlines the costs.
Transport by 7's Only $1,000
Speed Ventures cost $595 per day
Hotel: I used points but there are many options within 25 minutes of the track at $90-$150 per day.
Food was about $60 per day.
If you fly there Southwest has a non stop that prices $190 to $486 each way. It is not a bad drive suspect two very long days or three easier days.
Good news it is Texas and fuel is about $2 off track.

I put these costs in to show it is not outrageously expensive. The experience is well worth it. Speed Ventures is like time trials. Each run group was 25-30, which on a 3.4 mile track leaves lots of open track time. There are 4 25 minute sessions per day. You gridded by time so many laps will be free of traffic.

Speed ventures goes to COTA once a year so maybe next year we could get several to go and show the faster Porsches with less experienced drivers how racing is done. On more than one occasion someone would ask who was driving the blue 944 as they wanted to find out how to go faster in the turns.

Re: Circuit of the Americas and 944 7 years, 12 months ago #20718

• reflexr
  • Senior Racer
I get their emails, and saw this come up, thinking it would be a fantastic time. Your video proves the thought. Thanks for breaking down the cost, it would be great to have a few 944s represented next year. I would be interested in going next year, or whenever SV goes there again.
Joey Genitempo
NASA SoCal
No. 42
88 944 Spec- Blue Camouflage- retired
84 944 Spec- Green- 42
84 944 Spec- Yellow- 24
87 944 Spec-

Re: Circuit of the Americas and 944 7 years, 11 months ago #20720

• Timwold
  • Senior Racer
The PCA club race just ended on Sunday. With the cost numbers provided above; it makes more sense to come race with PCA then do a SV DE. In my opinion COTA is fun to race but to do a DE in a 944 it would be just MEH. The two straights in a 130+ or - HP car is not that exciting. Turn 1 to 11 is fun and turn 12 to 20 is fun but the straights are long and boring.

We had 9 SP1 (944 Spec) cars this past weekend and with some planning and propaganda we can probably but 15+ cars next year. If we get enough 944 CUP cars I believe we can have our own split start.

For cost comparison

Friday -3 practice sessions 30 minutes each and a 30 minute practice starts and fun race
Saturday- warm-up, Qualify session, 2 sprint races (12 laps each)
Both days $775

Sunday warm-up, Qualify session and 60 minute enduro
Additional cost for Sunday- I think $150

So three days of racing for $925 or thereabouts.

For other costs

We had a dinner get together on Friday at a SP1 racers RV.

I typically bring lunch stuff for the group- I will make a deal all out of state 944 drivers (actually all SP1)- you make it to COTA and I will supply lunch. The Texas area guys will supply the beer as well. We all paddock together and have a good time. The Texas regulars carry enough parts to keep people running should a mechanical occur - especially if you run early suspension. There are also local rentals available.

Norm H is on the fence and has been threatening to come from Arizona to COTA. If some southern cali guys make the trip he will probably make his way.
Todd Imwold
1983 Spec Car #143

Re: Circuit of the Americas and 944 7 years, 11 months ago #20732

• Atteberry
  • Seasoned Racer
First off thank you for the offer and hospitality. I just love Texans. (supply the beer).
The cost is attractive as well $925ish. The track time is also attractive . Question, is the enduro a one driver race or does it require a pit stop and driver change?

Having never been to the track doing what warlike a NASA Time Trial event was a great way to learn the track in a less stressful fashion. That said yes the back straight was a little boring.. Check the gauges, think about what to have for lunch, check the mirrors shift to 4th and repeat again. I did not find the front straight as boring.. Check the gauges read the signs chat with the pit crew then back to work.

The idea of this post was to try and build interest in the Southern California region for others to try and make the trip to COTA. A PCA event racing is a good idea. I would think with a little push we could get 1-3 from AZ and maybe 2-4 from SoCal. I would think at 15 we should get a separate start. I will see Norm and the other Southern California race group at California Speedway this weekend.

Re: Circuit of the Americas and 944 7 years, 11 months ago #20738

• Timwold
  • Senior Racer
The enduro can be run with a single driver or you can have two. There is one mandatory 5 minute stop but there is no refueling.

I think the post was a great idea - I just wanted to hijack it for a race weekend.

We can put on a pretty good party for those who have to travel.

Talk it up with the left coast racers. hope to see you next year.
Todd Imwold
1983 Spec Car #143

Re: Circuit of the Americas and 944 7 years, 11 months ago #20750

• Atteberry
  • Seasoned Racer
I have no problem with finding a reason to race and COTA looks like a fine venue to have some fun racing. Why would I not think that Texans can throw a party. I will keep you posted on what the left coast thinks of the idea.

Just so you know I have Texas roots having spent 16 years in DFW and having a degree from TCU.
  • Page:
Moderators: tcomeau
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds