(1 viewing) (1) Guest
NASA California South Region Website

nasasocal.com/
  • Page:

TOPIC: So Cal engine builder/ race shop good with 944's

So Cal engine builder/ race shop good with 944's 11 years ago #15738

• topley
  • Drivers Ed
So my 944 spec went into mothballs after only a few races 6 years ago as my new son and job promotion took all my available time. It saw a few open track days and POC TT's over the next couple of years but has not been started since the drive from my old house to my new one over 2 years ago. The last year and a half I've been driving my new Cayman R (seriously one hell of a car!) with the POC and PCA and am seeing myself going down that slippery slope. There were quite a few cars that couldn't leave the track under their own power at the Festival Of Speed 2 weeks ago and instead of spending a small fortune on my Cayman on safety equipment and still running the risk of balling up a car that is not paid off.... anyway you can all see where this is going. I've been miraculously finding more time than I had thought available for track fun and have decided that I want to get my car ship shape again. I had done some of the work (making it into a spec) on my car before and anything I couldn't do was handled by a friend that was a mechanic or my local independent (inexpensive) P shop. Its never seen a race shop. It's an 85.5 chassis with an early non LSD trans with the short 5th and who knows what combo of engine parts (swapped in by the previous POC owner just to keep it running so I'll bet its probably an early block.)Back in 06 or 07 it dyno'd at 132 hp. I'll probably just swap out the cracked fuel lines and tow it out to the track to see if it blows up (assuming I can get it started again...) but I'm toying with having it gone over and updated with all the things that have been found to work over the last few years of racing these beasties.

BTW I'm located in Torrance but I can't imagine that there's someone in the south bay... A few years ago I was toying with the same thing and talked to Steve Russakov but haven't heard people talking about him in years.

Thanks all!

Jay

Re: So Cal engine builder/ race shop good with 944's 10 years, 11 months ago #15865

Go to Black Forest Porsche in San Diego. 1 858 2921192 ask for Jeff. They prepare Tyler Palmer's 944 Spec car. Check out his web site www.TylerPalmerRacing.com go to the more section for latest on track photos.
TYLER PALMER 2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP RUNNER UP 2011 NATIONAL 944 SPEC CHAMPION 2011 SO CAL REGIONAL CHAMPION 2012 NATIONAL 944 SPEC CHAMPION 2012 SO CAL REGIONAL CHAMPION 2013 NATIONAL 944 SPEC CHAMPION
Last Edit: 10 years, 11 months ago by greg palmer.

Re: So Cal engine builder/ race shop good with 944's 10 years, 10 months ago #16029

• topley
  • Drivers Ed
iiiiiits.... aliiiiiive! Well hurdle 1 is over. After excavating the 944 out from all the junk in the garage I was able to put some time into it. Drained the gas, replaced the cracking fuel lines, new NGX coppers, cranking w/o spark to get the oil pressure up and she started up on the first try. Idled relatively smooth. Oil looked good on the dipstick (before and after)so I let it stay for today. Ran for about an hour. Got up to temp and all fans came on etc. Seems promising. Next weekend I'm going to get her up to operating temp again then change the oil and filter and maybe see if she'll go 'round the block.

Thanks Greg. Still haven't decided what I'm going to do but at this point, if things keep working out, I'm first going to try and tow out to the track in the next few months and see if I can blow her up.
Jay

Re: So Cal engine builder/ race shop good with 944's 10 years, 3 months ago #17183

• tcomeau
Jay,
Did you finish work on your spec car?
Tim Comeau
SoCal 944 Spec #22 since Feb 2003.
Let's keep building it!

Re: So Cal engine builder/ race shop good with 944's 10 years, 3 months ago #17185

• topley
  • Drivers Ed
Hi Tim,
Ha, no. I know this is sacrilege but I'm never going to have time to come back racing. And having the speed of my cayman is addicting.... I cannot justify turning that into a track car with all the full safety equipment as well as crashing it would be financially ruinous. A wrecked 86 951 dropped into my buddies lap (ouch!) so I'm having the engine rebuilt and dropping the engine and Trans into the spec car. I'm traveling a lot for work right now so a piecemeal build is fitting into my schedule and the plan is to have a car I can tinker with and build to the POC GT classes.
Jay
  • Page:
Moderators: tcomeau
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds