Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Nationals Sonoma Wreck
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Nationals Sonoma Wreck

Re: Nationals Sonoma Wreck 9 years, 5 months ago #18595

• dpRacing Dan
  • 944 Spec National Director
WOW! Incredibly generous offer Capt Squid!
Last Edit: 9 years, 5 months ago by dpRacing Dan.

Re: Nationals Sonoma Wreck 9 years, 5 months ago #18598

Steve, in a crash like that, it's VERY important that both of you are okay. You can always replace a car but your health is so much more important. In Tyler's car he also had a spot mirror on the drivers side roll cage. One rule that might be looked at, is the requirement of a good center mirror.
TYLER PALMER 2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP RUNNER UP 2011 NATIONAL 944 SPEC CHAMPION 2011 SO CAL REGIONAL CHAMPION 2012 NATIONAL 944 SPEC CHAMPION 2012 SO CAL REGIONAL CHAMPION 2013 NATIONAL 944 SPEC CHAMPION
Last Edit: 9 years, 5 months ago by greg palmer.

Re: Nationals Sonoma Wreck 9 years, 5 months ago #18599

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
greg palmer wrote:
One rule that might be looked at, is the requirement of a good center mirror.

First of all, glad everyone is okay. That was a hell of a spot to have an off judging by my time on that track in iRacing.

My thoughts after seeing and hearing the cause was right on with Greg. When I got my car, it still had the stock mirror in it which I then immediately removed. I don't understand how anybody can race with that limited field of view. The wide angle mirrors aren't that big of an expense but add greatly to the overall situational awareness of the driver. I just about have no blind spot unless its a Thunder Roadster right on my ass.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: Nationals Sonoma Wreck 9 years, 5 months ago #18605

• jivenjim
  • Senior Racer
Steve has shown himself such a gentleman with amazing restraint.
I think everyone should look at my racing 15 sec clip from Sat with Javier.

The short version:
youtu.be/ld6FJRv0BKg

After Sat Race in hotpits I went up and asked Javier why he drove me off the INSIDE of turn 2, lap 1; and he said "He thought he left me enough room!" You will note my car was about even at turn in and then Javier drives all the way to the inside of gator. If I would of held inside line (which I controlled) It would not of been good for lots of cars... so I drove off course and then lost positions.

I see repeat of Javier inability to drive in traffic. I was even with his car. He did not even need a mirror to see that. Find another excuse...
After race, I was pissed and steered clear of him, off track as well.
Jim Hicks
Texas Transplant

Re: Nationals Sonoma Wreck 9 years, 5 months ago #18608

Guys, if you have to go off track to avoid contact, please bring the video to the attention of the race director. Rules on leaving racing room apply even if contact is not made. We need to try and nip these things in the bud, and often a talk from the race director, with some video, can help.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Nationals Sonoma Wreck 9 years, 5 months ago #18609

Two other general statements to make here.

1) If you blow a corner, and someone is behind you, expect them to be on or next to you. Your head should be on a swivel like like a fighter pilot who hears a missile lock tone. At least scan your mirrors, which should be rote between each corner anyway.

2) Buy a racing rearview mirror. Much cheaper than a damaged car. Do we need to make this a rule?
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 9 years, 5 months ago by Sterling Doc.
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds