Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Breaking News from Mid-Ohio: New Spec Tire for '13
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Breaking News from Mid-Ohio: New Spec Tire for '13

Re: Breaking News from Mid-Ohio: New Spec Tire for '13 11 years, 8 months ago #13676

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
Hmmm - I have 4 sets of RA-1 in various stages of use. I'm going to be really interested in both the transition period and the comparative speeds (Tyler isn't a good example for us mid pack drivers !).

If the new tyres are at a serious advantage then we will HAVE to move to them - regardless of our stocks of RA1's.

The other issue is with the old setup, I could purchase a set of "Rains" and then transition them to become "Dry" tires as the season progressed. Now we will have to keep 2 sets - or just not see most drivers at either end of the season here in NorCal.
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re: Breaking News from Mid-Ohio: New Spec Tire for '13 11 years, 8 months ago #13679

I anticipate the new tires will go into the 2013 rules. No personal feedback I can give on them yet.

Jerry, if you currently maintain 4 sets of tires having drys and rains shouldn't change things a great deal long term. You are still only wear on set at a time. Half worn rains could pose a problem , but would be great to sell for a DE tire?
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Breaking News from Mid-Ohio: New Spec Tire for '13 11 years, 8 months ago #13681

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
I have one set of full tread (Rains) currently. I have 4 used sets of RA1's that I've either run after shaving or that I've picked up used. 2 Sets have around 12 HC's 1 set is unknown cycles but very high, and one set around 20 HC.

I normally buy the RA1's in a Non shaved configuration as we go into winter. If I haven't used them and they can still be shaved then they get shaved and go into the tire rotation around April when the potential wet season around here is over. This year I also picked up 2 sets of shaved RA1 that had been run for a couple of weekends by a Honda Challenge racer so didn't shave the Full treads.

Just explaining the current stock. I know of others that have been stockpileing RA1s with their ToyoBucks.
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re: Breaking News from Mid-Ohio: New Spec Tire for '13 11 years, 8 months ago #13682

I hear you Jerry. I will push for both tires to be legal, driver's choice, to use up existing tires.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Breaking News from Mid-Ohio: New Spec Tire for '13 11 years, 8 months ago #13683

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
Enough about tires, what's going on in Ohio?!

Re: Breaking News from Mid-Ohio: New Spec Tire for '13 11 years, 8 months ago #13685

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
Thanks to Greg and Tyler I was fortunate enough to have been invited to the test day at Buttonwillow when these tires were tested.

The testing went like this. 1st session was with brand new RA-1 shaved. We got about 10 laps. Second session was with brand new RR tires unshaved and again about 10 laps.

We did not get any additional laps on the new tires.

The car I was driving was a borrowed car that was pushing badly with the new RA-1. We were not allowed to make any set up changes between sessions.

The second sessions was about 30 minutes later with the new RR tire. The car I was driving was 4 seconds faster. The new tire masked all the handling problems the car had with the RA-1. It was very predictable and easy to drive fast.

There were a couple of cars in the 3 hr. enduro that night that ran the RR tire. This car was hit on the opening lap of the race and ended up with about a 1/2" of toe in after contact. The drivers did not know this until the next morning. They were running pace with cars in class on Hoosiers.
The wear pattern on the tires did not indicate a toe problem even after 3 hours. Even though the car had a push situation from the toe problem.
This same car has run multiple enduros on this set of tires with great results.

I think we have a winner here guys!!!

As far as Nats go I believe Erik is on pole, Niel off pole, Tyler 3rd.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion