(1 viewing) (1) Guest
NASA California North Region Website

nasanorcal.com/

TOPIC: Need help cage shopping

Re:Need help cage shopping 15 years, 11 months ago #1563

• Gary_44
  • Seasoned Racer
JerryW wrote:

Any new built car will not be able to grandfather (no new log books will be issued with ERW cages -- That was what got me with the cage I was going to buy from Ken).

The biggest issue I have with the bolt in cages are the feet bolt to the floor pans and not to the sills. The sills are significantly stronger and supportive.

Gary - if you are at infineon this weekend come and see where the boltholes for the cage are and compare to the welded cage mounts I now have.

I remember you showing me the difference last time I was at Infineon, but my memory generally sucks. I'll be there on Sat 28th, if you don't mind I'll take some pics this time.
\"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.\"
--- Ernest Hemmingway

Re:Need help cage shopping 15 years, 11 months ago #1564

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
Last weekend Aubie brought out his 924s which just had a cage and the minimum safety equipment and had a great time. The car was still pretty much stock but he did very good! On the other hand, I waited over a year to get my car on track until I thought it was absolutely ready. Either way you'll have fun.

I hope to have my car back up and running by the August event. My wife/banker just ok'd the funds to have the motor rebuilt while the clutch is getting fixed. I doubt I'll be ready by Infineon but should make Thunderhill. Remind us to save you a paddock space.

By the way, I believe one of our fastest guys, Greg, has a bolt in cage. He also bout the car from Bill who was extremely quick. Neither of them seem to have a problem with the cage, so if it's legal it may not be such a bad choice.

Re:Need help cage shopping 15 years, 11 months ago #1565

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
Gary_44 wrote:

I remember you showing me the difference last time I was at Infineon, but my memory generally sucks. I'll be there on Sat 28th, if you don't mind I'll take some pics this time.

Sure -- Come on over. You are more than welcome to pit with us all anyway.

Want Ron said is true -- there is nothing **wrong** with the bolt in cages (I was was more than OK to run one) it's just things can be improved. Additionally the cost of of the custom built is not too much more than the bolt in especially if you ever think you would want to go to a custom cage later.
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re:Need help cage shopping 15 years, 11 months ago #1566

Bolt in cages might not be as strong if you ever really need to use it during a rollover. There is a price to pay and for your safety, some people will tell you there is no price tag that is too great for your life. Of course we all want to keep our cars within a reasonable dollar amount as this is suppose to be cheap racing at its best.

With that said, I think the going rate at TC is around $1,600. A brand new Autopower cage is going to cost you around $900 shipped and then you still have to spend some money to have the door bar welded on and the time to bolt everything together. By the time you are out the door, you are probably spending close to $1200-1300 so it really isn't that much of a savings.

However, if you can find a good deal on a used cage that is DOM tubing, like I did for only $400, then the price looks that much more attractive for going with a bolt in cage. Good luck in finding one as it is very hard to come by. Not only are you looking for one, Jeremy is also hunting around so if one pops up, you'd better snatch it right away. Must make sure it is DOM and not ERW tubing. Of course you will still need to buy an extra door bar from Autopower and have that welded in.
Window Tinting
Paint Protection
Vinyl Graphics

Re:Need help cage shopping 15 years, 11 months ago #1569

• Gary_44
  • Seasoned Racer
Ya, I'm trying to save money every place I can, but trying not to cut corners on safety stuff. No way I can afford $1600 for awhile, though. I've put feelers out on Craigslist and had a few people tell me they can build a cage from scratch if I have the specs for $500 labor. I guess the risk is getting it built then not passing inspection, but I guess I could tell them no pass/no pay.
I also have access to my dad's ranch shop with Arc and MIG welders if I were to buy a kit, but I'd have to hire someone to do the welding anyway.
Does anyone know about how much raw DOM is needed?
I'm told 1.5" x .120 is more common size and easier to find, is it stout enough?
\"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.\"
--- Ernest Hemmingway

Re:Need help cage shopping 15 years, 11 months ago #1578

• pixrken
  • NorCal 944-Spec Director
Hi Gary,

I already have you and your red 944 down for pit space at the upcoming Infineon event.

Hold off on the cage for a little while longer. Details to follow.
--Ken
Moderators: tcomeau
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds